Sunday, 4 November 2012

If wishes were fishes...

I love how the titles of this blog have taken such an ominous turn in the past few weeks.

Well, test #2 is imminent and I feel mildly prepared. That isn't good. I felt a lot more prepared for the first test, and look at how well that turned out (hint: read earlier blog posts).

I'll get more to the test later but I am more interested in talking about the assignment. I must say, other than the improvement in lecture quality from 165, the assignments have been far more interesting too. After understanding how to do questions, I really did feel a sense of accomplishment which was completely missing in every assignment in 165. I guess you can say it hit the "problem solving" button in my head like some of the actual programming classes.

I think this was because I really had time to think about the questions. I read them over multiple times over a week or so to understand how I would figure them out. Yeah, I realize I didn't need that much time, but my point is, I set the assignment on the "keep warm" setting for a while. I also re-read many of the notes online and the text book for this course to help facilitate my progression. Next thing you know, I was having epiphanies left and right. Something just clicked.

This leads me to believe that maybe tests aren't particularly that important in this type of course. I know people will disagree with me on this one but I feel that when you're given some time to do proofs, you think out all the possible scenarios, which you chip away at to give you that "AHA!" moment. I don't think you can do that with tests and that's what I feel is missing. Maybe for future exams, we could have some easier proofs that test you on basic knowledge and this harder question which everyone gets 24 hours before the exam. I know I am just rambling but it's something that should be considered in my opinion.

Anyways, I am off to go try some more proofs in the aim that I feel more prepared for tomorrow's test.

Cheers and Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment