So we got the marks of A2 back this week.
Not good. These were my first thoughts. A clear contrast is evident between my thoughts after finishing A2 (and having looked at the solutions) and looking at the mark given to me.
So let's talk about why I am in such a mood. I personally felt I did really well on my proofs; they were pretty clear and really had nothing wrong with them. I was correct, more or less. So why was I given a "passable" on my first question from A2? I did not explain how I achieved my first equation and I was missing, according to the marker, the n = 1 base case.
Yes, my answer was clearly missing an explanation of how I achieved my equation. I never thought it would be necessary to put that onto the final assignment that I handed in. This was also the case for A1 and I was not docked any marks then (where I did not show how I achieved an equation but rather only proved it would work for all n.)
The base case problem? I felt, since my equation only had 2 cases (one with n < 2 and then n > 1), that I felt only one case was necessary. The marker disagreed; fair enough. The problem here lies in the fact that both these errors cost me 12.5% on A2 (each). Even if they were considered to be errors, I would feel they are very much so MINOR DETAILS, to what is otherwise in my honest opinion, a fairly good proof.
Now enough whining about A2. I must say last week's lectures were very interesting. Why? Since they were very much so related to the lectures we were having in my other course, CSC207. In that course, we focused on regular expressions. I can't really recall what they were called in this course (they were just referred as Languages IIRC but not sure), but the formatting was very similar (long story short: I had a quiz to study for, so I picked my poison.).
I hope we continue moving forward with these, it's always great to see related courses. Furthermore, I realize the time has come for me to decide something to do for my problem on this SLOG (and walk through it). Hopefully this week, I can get on that. Last but not least, I look forward to A3 -- as I mentioned in an earlier blog, the assignments in this class have been pretty interesting so far and I hope the trend continues.
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment